Since our pioneering days in the late 1800s, the Kambala community has shared a common goal: to educate ‘the whole girl’.
Kambala began as a humble class of 12 girls, taught in a terrace house in Woollahra by Miss Louisa Gurney, the daughter of an English clergyman. Louisa was later joined by Mademoiselle Augustine Soubeiran who became Co-Principal. The School moved in 1891 to a larger property in Bellevue Hill called ‘Kambala’.
In 1913, with an enrolment of nearly 50, the School moved again to its current site, on New South Head Road in Rose Bay. The School operated within the Tivoli townhouse, the home of Captain William Dumaresq. Tivoli has undergone several extensions and restorations; today, it remains the home to Kambala’s boarders in Years 7 to 9, who enjoy some of the best harbour views Sydney has to offer.
In 1926, Kambala became a Church of England Foundation School with an independent council.
Kambala has strengthened its reputation for academic excellence and the education of the whole girl through continually evolving teaching and learning practices, improving facilities and expanding the opportunities provided to students.